Revised EMA Riichi rules are ready. The rules will come into effect on April 1, 2016.
Motivation for the rule changes is to be in line with modern style riichi as it played in competion riichi in Japan and the World Riichi Championship 2015 rules have been the main inspiration.
The rules are available in a preliminary document while further layout and graphics is made in collaboration with Sheila Hansen who also designed the front page.
Main changes since the 2012 edition:
- Red fives have been removed
- Tanyao (All Simples) can be an open hand
- Renho (Blessing of Man) is a mangan, not a yakuman
- Dai suushii (Big Four Winds) is a yakuman, not a double yakuman
- A hand with 13+ fan is scored as a sanbaiman, not a yakuman
- The 3 second timing rule is removed
- Swap-calling is not allowed
- Temporary furiten ends when the player draws or claims a tile
- Five counters implies two yaku: the rule is removed
- Abortive draws are not allowed
- Nagashi Mangan is not allowed
- Uma is changed to 15,000/5,000/-5,000/-15,000
- Chombo penalty in a tournament is 20,000 points deduction after uma
- Penalty rules are slightly more lenient in some cases
Differences to World Championship Rules 2015
- Multiple winners are allowed
- 4-30 is not rounded to mangan payment
- Timing rules differ; EMA: pung takes predence over chow
- Riichi bets at game end go to the winner
Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!